5 Ways You Can Benefit from Getting Hedge — Even If You Already Have Smart Home Security Devices
Published: January 4, 2021
SmartCam, Smart Leak Sensor Kit, Smart Motion Kit, Garage Door Sensor, Hedge App, Home Security, Home Monitoring
Smart home technology is on the rise, in use within an estimated 37% of households in the U.S. — and that number is expected to increase to roughly 57% by 2025.
The growing ubiquity of smart home technology means that some of our customers already have smart home security devices in place when they're introduced to Hedge.
"Can I also benefit from getting Hedge?" they ask.
"Why, of course!" we reply, and proceed to detail the following benefits.
1. Hedge includes devices to protect against water damage (which your current system might not do)
Water damage in homes is, unfortunately, quite commonplace. Just consider these staggering facts (and find more here):
- 14,000 people in the U.S. experience a water damage emergency at home or work each day.
- 98% of basements in the U.S. are subjected to some type of water damage during their lifespans.
- 37% of U.S. homeowners claim to have suffered losses from water damage.
- About one in 50 insured homes has a property damage claim caused by water damage or freezing each year.
Many home monitoring and security systems on the market don't include measures to prevent water damage, but Hedge is different. Our Smart Leak Sensor Kit — included in our Base Package — includes three Smart Leak Sensors that monitor for and alert you to water accumulation and temperature/humidity shifts outside your specified range, which could also indicate a water-related issue (e.g. mold or freezing pipes).
2. Hedge's included escalation process provides an extra layer of protection in the event of a missed notification
Smart home protection devices typically alert the homeowner to a potential issue via a smartphone app. But what happens if you've silenced your phone, put it on airplane mode, or simply set it down in the other room — and you miss the alert notification altogether?
The safety and security of your home shouldn't rely on a single notification (that leaves too much room for error); and with Hedge, it doesn't. We've identified "high-priority" events that will likely lead to a very real problem if not addressed:
- Your smoke or carbon monoxide detector sounding in range of your SmartCam
- Water accumulation reaching .5mm near where you've placed one of your Leak Sensors
If you don't "acknowledge" the first notification alerting you to either high-priority event by opening the Hedge App, a series of additional notifications, texts, and calls will be made to you and other users on your account, followed by your emergency contact.
3. Hedge's versatile devices provide more comprehensive home protection
Hedge's Base Package includes devices that protect against a number of homeowners' primary concerns: fire, water damage, and theft. Standalone smart home products, on the other hand, might only address one of those potential issues.
- Helps you protect your home from: theft and fire ("listens" for your smoke/CO alarms)
- Bonus: Check in on your kids (or beloved pet!) when you're not home
The SmartCam's 24/7 live feed also allows you to virtually assess the situation after you receive a push notification alert.
Smart Leak Sensor Kit
- Helps you protect your home from: water damage
- Bonus: Monitor your bathroom's humidity (make sure your teen is turning on the fan pre-shower!)
Smart Motion Kit
- Helps you protect your home from: theft
- Bonus: Identify the family member sneaking downstairs for a midnight snack
Garage Door Sensor (a Base Package add-on)
- Helps you protect your home from: theft
- Bonus: Keep furry (and winged) friends from nesting in your garage
On top of providing more comprehensive protection than your standard one-off device, Hedge's devices are incredibly versatile and can be effective in preventing issues throughout almost every (if not every) room in your home. Here are just a few examples of placement locations (check out even more recommended locations here).
You can place your SmartCam practically anywhere — as long as it's indoors!
- Near the main entryway of your home, pointed at your front door
- Near or pointed outside of first-floor windows
- In your garage, pointed towards the garage door (doubles to monitor for intruders and to help you make sure you've closed the garage door)
- In any high-traffic areas of the home, like the kitchen, living room, or main hallway
- Creative placement idea: In your pet's room (keep an eye on your pup while you're away!)
You should set up your Leak Sensor near appliances that could potentially spring a leak and/or areas of the home susceptible to water infiltration. Place your Leak Sensor directly on the ground with its metal prongs pointed downwards.
- Under washing machines, dishwashers, and refrigerators (if they have a water supply line)
- Under sinks — especially if the sink has had previous leaks, is old, and/or is in a place not regularly accessed
- Near your shower, bathtub, or toilet
- Creative placement idea: Near your indoor plants (helpful if you have a habit of over-watering!)
You can really place your Motion Sensor anywhere in the home; we recommend you choose a different location than your SmartCam, as your SmartCam also monitors for motion.
- Near any of your home's entry points (especially first-floor doors and windows)
- In high-traffic areas of your home (think kitchen and living room — and don't forget hallways and stairs!)
- Creative placement idea: Near any area of the house that's off-limits to kids or pets
Like your other Hedge devices, your Contact Sensors are very versatile. Here are some of our recommended placement locations.
- On any of your home's doors leading outside (e.g. front door, back door, patio door)
- On any of your home's windows
- On safes
- Creative placement idea: On your pantry door or refrigerator (catch that late-night chocolate thief!)
4. Hedge provides access to special features outside the realm of traditional home security
For customers in select states (with more states to be added in the future), we offer home maintenance services, like a Virtual Home Checkup in partnership with the home maintenance experts at Setter.
At Hedge, we're all about proactive home protection, and regular home maintenance is one of the best ways to keep your family, your home, and your belongings safe and secure for many years to come. (Find more home maintenance benefits here.)
5. Hedge devices may qualify you for a discount on your homeowners insurance
Hedge may save you money — in more ways than one. Outside of helping you prevent costly home issues, like fire or water damage, customers that get Hedge may save money on their homeowners insurance premiums. After you get Hedge, check with your insurance provider to see if you qualify.
Interested in getting Hedge? We're committed to offering Hedge at the best possible price: an affordable one-time charge for Hedge's Base Package, with no monthly fees or long-term contracts. Explore our Base Package and optional add-ons, and don't hesitate to reach out to our Support team with questions.