Hedge Water Detector: Why You Need It & Where to Put It
Published: January 16, 2020
Water Detector, Hedge Setup, Flood Prevention
When you think about it, water flows through almost every room in your home: your kitchen, bathrooms, laundry room, basement, unfinished storage areas...
And while convenient, the abundance of water sources in modern homes carries with it the risk of water damage should a single component of your home's plumbing system run amok.
It's no surprise that water damage is a common cause of home insurance claims. And --- according to the Insurance Services Office (ISO) --- the percentage of claims due to water damage is only increasing.
Fortunately, there are tools that can help you proactively protect your home from water damage, like the Water Detector from Hedge.
If you've already purchased your Hedge package, you're on your way to a more secure home, free from water damage. Keep reading for more information about your Hedge Water Detector --- including recommendations on where in your home to set it up.
Water Detector: Your New Favorite Smart Home Device
Our Water Detector might just be your new favorite smart home device (along with our SmartCam and Garage Door Sensor, of course). It monitors areas in your home at greatest risk for water damage, sending you alerts if water accumulation is detected or if humidity and temperature leave the acceptable range.
Here are just a few reasons why you'll love our Water Detector:
- Simple setup: Setup is a breeze with quick, intuitive installation and easy connection to your Hedge App.
- 24/7 Alerts & Escalations: Our Water Detector sends 24/7 water-related alerts to your Hedge app. In the event that you don't acknowledge an alert, the escalation process begins, and a series of notifications, texts, and calls are made to other users, followed by your emergency contact.
- Long-Lasting: A three-year battery life (with batteries included) means you can set it and forget it... at least for awhile.
Finally, our Hedge Water Detector is versatile, which leads us to this...
The 10 Best Places to Set Up Your Hedge Water Detector
Earlier, we touched on the many water sources throughout your home --- sinks, toilets, water heaters, and more.
Fortunately, our Hedge Water Detector is equipped to monitor any one of these places, and its discreet shape helps it blend into its surroundings.
Below, we'll walk you through some of the best places to install your Water Detector by room.
In the kitchen...
- Under or behind your refrigerator (especially if you have an ice maker)
- Under or near your dishwasher
- Under your kitchen sink
In the bathroom...
- Next to your toilet
- Under your bathroom sink
In the laundry room...
- Under or near your washing machine
- Under your laundry room utility sink
In your basement or home's utility areas...
- Under your water heater
- Near your sump pump
- At any low points or near any known foundation cracks
If you have a kitchen, bar, or bathroom in your basement, these are great places to set up the Water Detector. You can install the Water Detector in the same places you would in your upstairs kitchen and bathrooms.